How to connect to router or switch console in the absence of serial port on computer
For console USB connection, we use a converter called DB-9 to USB converter. This converter helps us to connect the-the console port to the system with no serial port.
With the invention of USB (Universal Serial Bus), serial ports in computers and laptops have been replaced with USB. Most of the laptops that are available in the market do not have a serial port on them. How can one have a console access if there is no serial port on a computer?
Universal Serial Bus is the best alternative that an administrator can have in the absence of serial port on a computer.
For console USB connection, we use a converter called DB-9 to USB converter. This converter helps us to connect the-the console port to the system with no serial port. USB converter has DB-9 male pins on one side and USB on the other end. The connection with USB is as follows
1. RJ-45 on one side of rollover cable is connected to the console port. The other side of rollover cable with RJ-45 is connected to RJ-45 to a DB-9 converter.
2. The other side of RJ-45 to DB-9 is connected to DB-9 to USB converter.
3. USB converter is connected to the USB port of the system.
To avoid all this hassles, A RJ-45 to USB converter is directly available in the market. This cable on one side has RJ-45 pins and on the other end, it has a USB to connect to the system.
T connect router console port using USB please follow the following steps:
1. Download and install USB console driver from Cisco CCO website.
2. Installer will prompt you to restart the system once installation is done.
3. After restarting plug-in USB into the computer.
4. Now open device manager by right clicking on my computer
5. Expand ports in device manager.
6. Cisco virtual com port appears in device manager assigned to a particular port number.
7. Cisco virtual com port has a warning signal stating it must be updated.
8. Right click on the port with warning signal and select update driver
9. Manually browse to the location where drivers are saved and select Cisco Serial Driver and click OK.
10. Once the driver is installed, a window pop’s up stating installation successfully.
11. Remember the port number that is assigned to it
Once an installation is done, you can start configuring your router through USB console connection with the help of virtual terminal software with root privilege.
- How to use Putty Terminal Emulator on a Cisco Router or Switch
- How to use HyperTerminal Terminal Emulator on a Cisco Router or Switch
- Communicate Router with Auxiliary, Telnet, SSH, HTTP Connections
- Console Connection of a Router