Sort in Excel
Sorting function in MS Excel, allows the use to arrange the data on one or more columns in either ascending or descending order. In ascending order, the data will be sorted from smaller to bigger also called as A to Z order whereas in descending order, the data will be sorted from bigger to smaller also called as Z to A order.
To apply sorting on single column, follow the following steps.
1. Click any cell in the desired column you want to sort.
2. Goto Data tab and select from ascending or descending order (whichever you desire). In this example Ascending order has been applied (i.e. AZ).
The data is sorted from smaller to bigger order as shown in the figure below.
To sort in descending order, click ZA.
To apply sorting on multiple columns, follow the following steps.
1. Goto the Data tab and click Sort.
2. In the Sort dialog box, select Last Name from the ‘Sort by’ drop-down list.
3. Click on “Add Level”.
4. Select Country from the “Then by” drop-down list as shown in the figure below.
5. Click OK.
All the data will be sorted by Last Name first and then by Country as shown in the figure below.