What is Java?
Certiology’s free Java tutorial for beginners. Java is a renowned high-level programming language most widely used due to its adaptability and general-purpose nature.
Java is a popular diversified high-level programming language and is a most widely used programming language. Its popularity is due to its adaptability and general-purpose nature. Its major characteristic includes the minimum implementation requirements and dependencies because of its support for concurrent, class-based, object-oriented, and specifically designed solutions. The Java’s basic ideology “write once and run anywhere” – (WORA) is highly popular among the programmers and developers because this saves them a lot of time and efforts because the same program can be implemented on multiple operating systems without requiring any changes or additional implementations. All the proprietary or open-source operating systems supports java. Java programs are compiled to bytecode that only requires a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) for execution regardless of the architecture and operating system being used.
Java is an extremely powerful programming language because of its architecture and its built-in support for various factors like security and robustness. That is why, Java is an ultimate choice for information sensitive applications where data security has the highest priority. Likewise, Java’s effective client server applications functionality gives Java another edge over other programming languages.
Java is developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems in 1995. This language has its syntax similar to syntax of C and C++ which are highly common for every programmer. Therefore, it is very convenient and easy for a programmer to start Java programming.
For Java programming, you will require to setup your system with the specific requirements which will be discussed in details under “Environment Setup” section.
Salient information related to Java Programming Langauge.
- Developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystem Development
- An effective and popular OOP language
- Automatic GC
- Widely accepted
- Simpler than C++ yet totally Object-oriented
- Platform independent
- Portable (architecture-neutral via Java Virtual Machine)
- Run-time environment (Interpreter w. GC and threads)
- Designed for easy Web/Internet applications
- java, class library, javac, tools, documentation
- Dynamic incremental loading and linking
- GUI and graphics programming
- Systematic class, package, and source file naming
- Web and network applications support
- Internationalization (programs in Unicode)