File server configuration on Windows Server 2012
How to Configure File Server on Windows Server 2012
This article explains how to setup and configure File Server on Windows Server 2012. Free step by step tutorial for installing and configuring File Server on Windows Server 2012.
Now, we will learn how to install and configure file and sharing services on a Windows 2012 server to make it work as file server.
Let’s get started
- Login to the Domain Server(Test.abc.com)
- Now let’s start with login onto the server as shown below.
- Give username & password (abc\administrator) & click on ok as shown below.
- On the certificate verification window click on Yes button.
- The Next windows will show the Server Desktop.
- Open Server Manager from the Left down corner of server Desktop as shown below
- Click on Add Roles & Features from Server Manager Dashboard as shown below.
- Click on Next to Begin the Process as shown below
- By Default Role based or featured based Installation is selected already so we will continue with default settings & click on Next as shown below
- On Next window Continue with default server(Test) selection & click on Next as shown below
- You can see the file and Storage services is selected already because we are installing this service on Domain controller but if you install and add this Role service on any other fresh server then you have to follow the same process.
- Click on Next as shown below
- After Next it will install the Services on the server on which you want to setup file & share services.
- After this we will open File & Storage service given on the Server Manager Dashboard as shown below
- It will show you the file server details as shown below
- The Volume option will show you the Volume details of a file Server like System Reserve Volume and C drive as shown below, you can create volume on a Physical disk or a virtual disk.
- The Disk option will show you the disk used to create volumes. You can attach more physical and virtual disk and after scan to detect the same you can further configure volumes in the Disk.
- The Storage Pool option show you the details of group of physical disk which create a pool that enable you to make more efficient use of disk capacity. Currently there is no other storage attached with server so it show empty area &You can add new storage pool from the Task button given in the top right corner as shown.
- Shares option shows you the details of shared directory of a Server to other user & for administrative purpose. You can create share from the Task button given in the top right corner as shown.
- Before that we will go to C drive to create a folder name test.
- Now we will come back to the File and storage console.
- Click on New Share & continue with default settings by clicking Next button as shown
- On the Server path selection folder select Custom path and click on browse as shown below
- Select the test folder and click on select folder
- It will come back to the location(c:\test) & click on next
- On the next window click specify the share name if you want otherwise it will take the default name automatically. Click on Next
- On Configure sharing settings continue with default settings and click on Next
- The next page will show the default permission of that folder. If you want to edit permission, you can do the same by customize permissions button else click on next
- On the Confirm selection page click on create button.
- You can see the share has been created.
- To verify go to C drive and right click on test folder & on the Properties page, select the sharing tab and you can see the folder test is shared now.
- This is how we can manage folder sharing on file server.
- Windows Server 2012 System Requirements
- Windows 2012 Server Versions
- Installing Windows Server 2012 on Virtual Cloud
- Installing Active Directory in Windows 2012 Server
- Installation and configuration of printer server and network printer on Windows 2012 Server
- How to join Computers to a Domain in Windows Server 2012
- User Creation in Active Directory Windows 2012 Server
- How to Configure Group Policy in Windows Server 2012
- FTP Server Installation and Configuration on Windows Server 2012
- Disk Quota Management and Configuration on Windows Server 2012
- IIS Server Installation and Configuration on Windows Server 2012
- DHCP Server Configuration in Windows Server 2012
- VPN Server Installation and Configuration on Windows Server 2012
- DNS Server Installation and Configuration on Windows Server 2012
- Setup Shared Folder Permissions on Windows Server 2012
- WSUS Server Configuration on Windows Server 2012